Friar Don Miller. OFM
I am a Franciscan priest. I spent my early years of ministry in New Mexico working among the Pueblo Native Americans and the Hispanics. In 1978 I began my years in academics working as a chaplain, faculty member, and administrator at various universities in the southwest and the midwest. I taught various course in theology, especially in my area of specialty which is moral theology. I have been the Vocation Director for the Province of Saint John the Baptist since 2003.
Father Don's Vocation Blog

« Postulants Formally Received | Main | Off to the Colorado Mountains--for WORK »

Six--make that seven--days in Texas

I flew to Houston, TX on Tuesday, July 9 intending to visit with three or four prospectives and to  attend the Galveston-Houston Archdiocesan Youth Conference. I got there Tuesday afternoon and stayed with Fr. Page Polk, O.F.M., the Director of the Houston Medical Centers' Chaplains Corp. Wednesday morning I headed off for Bryon and Irving where I enjoyed two very pleasant interviews/visits with young men thinking of possibly joining us. After spending the night in Dallas, I drove on to Austin for another pleasant visit and back to Houston.

Friday afternoon I drove to the Greenspoint Hilton for the Youth Conference where I met many young people on fire with their faith. I also made a few contacts with young men thinking about our way of life.

Saturday I drove to Galveston to celebrate the Eucharist and to visit with our friars stationed at Saint Patrick Church. Fr. John Bok, O.F.M. and I concelebrated the evening Mass and then Fr. John Paul Flajole, O.F.M. and I went out for dinner.

Sunday I returned my rental car and went to Hobby Airport for a 12:23 flight back to Cincinnati via Atlanta. The fun started when the flight was delayed three times due to terrible weather in Atlanta. Actually, the early flight that had left for Atlanta returned because the airport there was closed. About 3:30 p.m. I heard the announcement that my flight was canceled.

Then the fun started. Long lines which resulted in an early morning flight out from Bush International airport Monday morning. Then another long line to get my checked bag back--I hardly ever check baggage but I did Sunday. By that time I needed to return to the car rental place to rent another car and to find a motel near the airport. Then a call comes that I had be rescheduled on a later flight leaving at 10:55 a.m.

Right now I am at IAH awaiting the time to board the direct flight back to Cincinnati--I hope.

It was a good week in the Lone Star State. Vocations there are plentiful it seems. (Of course, Clifford Hennings, O.F.M., one of our novices, is from Richmond, TX.) I pray for the young men contemplating our lifestyle and ask the Lord to bless us with good vocations.


The comments to this entry are closed.